Friday, January 20, 2012

Revelation - Comes after a willingness to believe; can come to many

One of the early messages of the Book of Mormon appears to be that people can get revelation. Lehi received revelation and then his son did as well. The prerequisites for the revelation appear to be a few things:
1) That Nephi believed what his Father had taught (particularly in Jesus Christ)
2) That Nephi desired to know and see what his Father knew and saw
3) That Nephi would think and ponder about his Father's message

Here's the verses that express the above 3 thoughts:

1 For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat apondering in mine heart I wasbcaught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high cmountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot.

2 And the Spirit said unto me: Behold, what adesirest thou?

3 And I said: I desire to behold the things which my father asaw.

4 And the Spirit said unto me: aBelievest thou that thy father saw the btree of which he hath spoken?

5 And I said: Yea, thou knowest that I abelieve all the words of my father.

6 And when I had spoken these words, the Spirit cried with a loud voice, saying: Hosanna to the Lord, the most high God; for he is God over all the aearth, yea, even above all. And blessed art thou, Nephi, because thou bbelievest in the Son of the most high God; wherefore, thou shalt behold the things which thou hast desired.

Given the correct preparation and willingness to believe in the message given by a servant of God, it appears Nephi and I would assume anyone can receive great revelation. I appreciate God's willingness to guide and teach directly.

No comments: