Monday, January 16, 2012

Different kind of book - specifically focusing on teaching about Christ

Even though the Brass Plates were very insightful and meaningful to Lehi/Nephi, they also had parts that were really only meaningful to them because the lineage included their family. This made the book tailor made for Lehi and his family.

Nephi, however, wanted to make a book that applied to all people and persuaded all to come unto Christ and be saved. There was no need to have a section explaining detailed genealogy that would make the book more special to some and less special to most. Nephi guides the future writers to follow this principle:

1 Nephi 6:
1 And now I, Nephi, do not give the genealogy of my fathers inathis part of my record; neither at any time shall I give it after upon these bplates which I am cwriting; for it is given in the record which has been kept by my dfather; wherefore, I do not write it in this work.

3 And it mattereth not to me that I am particular to give a full account of all the things of my father, for they cannot be written upon athese plates, for I desire the room that I may write of the things of God.

4 For the fulness of mine intent is that I may apersuade men tobcome unto the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, and be saved.

6 Wherefore, I shall give commandment unto my seed, that they shall not occupy these plates with things which are not of worth unto the children of men.

No comments: