Thursday, January 12, 2012

1 Nephi 2: Relationship with the Father - Continual Instruction

In 1 Nephi 1 we see that Lehi had 2 recorded revelations. Then 1 Nephi 2 starts out with another revelation to Lehi in which Lehi is told to leave Jerusalem with his family.

1 For behold, it came to pass that the Lord spake unto my father, yea, even in a dream, and said unto him: Blessed art thou Lehi, because of the things which thou hast done; and because thou hast been faithful and declared unto this people the things which I commanded thee, behold, they seek to atake away thy blife.

2 And it came to pass that the Lord acommanded my father, even in a bdream, that he should ctake his family and depart into the wilderness.

3 And it came to pass that he was aobedient unto the word of the Lord, wherefore he did as the Lord commanded him.

Later in the chapter we read of Nephi receiving revelation from the Lord 2 times.

16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the amysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did bvisit me, and did csoften my heart that I did dbelieve all the words which had been spoken by my efather; wherefore, I did not frebel against him like unto my brothers.

Also, in this verse he receives additional instruction about his future:

It appears clear that the Lord is willing to continually instruct us as we have questions about what to do in life or questions about certain doctrinal issues. He wants us to learn and is willing to communicate to us. He is our Father, and Father's want their children to learn (as we find out that's a good definition of a great Father based on 1 Nephi 1 and Mosiah 1).
1 Nephi 1:1
I, Nephi, having been aborn of bgoodly cparents, therefore I wasdtaught somewhat in all the learning of my father;
Mosiah 1:2
2 And it came to pass that he had three asons; and he called their names Mosiah, and Helorum, and Helaman. And he caused that they should be btaught in all the clanguage of his fathers, that thereby they might become men of understanding; and that they might know concerning the prophecies which had been spoken by the mouths of their fathers, which were delivered them by the hand of the Lord.

No comments: