Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pure in Heart - Elder Eyring - following God with full purpose of heart

We went to a fireside with the former stake president in the area. He also spent a lot of time as a seminary teacher (besides being an orthodontist). I felt great joy in listening to the talk. One story that is similar to others I have heard of President Eyring was the following:

Elder Eyring is related to a relative of Don Hull. This relative, a nephew-in-law (I believe) to Elder Eyring told this story to Don Hull. When the nephew picked Elder Eyring up, Elder Eyring asked about different family members. One was the brother of the nephew who was playing in the major leagues for the Angels. When responding about how his brother's life was, the nephew said, "my brother's life is hard. He said that in the major leagues, guys only care about three things." Then Elder Eyring interrupted and said, "please don't tell me what those things are. I don't need to know."

I know that Elder Eyring wants to be pure in heart. His example of trying to avoid all sin reminds me of this verse from D.C. 18 - the 3 Witnesses to the Book of Mormon were told to find the 12 Apostles. Jesus then describes a characteristic of the 12 Apostles:

27 Yea, even twelve; and the aTwelve shall be my disciples, and they shall take upon them my name; and the Twelve are they who shall desire to take upon them my bname with full purpose of heart.

I know that Elder Eyring wants to do this. He tries to follow God with full purpose of heart. I hope to some day, even some day soon, try like Elder Eyring to follow God in all ways and avoid sin or even the possibility of sin to the greatest degree. I think Elder eyring would do anything to keep the Spirit with him always so that he can be close to the Savior, and so he does.


No comments: