Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Are you a Christian? Living the right way to answer, "yes"

Jesus was quite clear that simply having a belief that something is the case doesn't make it true. Many of the Jewish leaders said, "we are children of Abraham." What they were really saying is, "we're part of God's chosen people." Jesus made the point over and over again that saying you're children of Abraham and believing that was not sufficient. One has to act as Abraham did.

Here's some verses explaining this idea: (John 8)

33 ¶They answered him, We be aAbraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?

34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever acommitteth bsin is the cservant of sin.

37 I know that ye are Abraham’s seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.

38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.

39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were aAbraham’s bchildren, ye would do the cworks of Abraham.

40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham.

44 Ye are of your father the adevil, and the blusts of your father ye will do. He was a cmurderer from the beginning, and abode not in the dtruth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh aelie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a fliar, and the father of it.

45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.

46 Which of you aconvinceth me of bsin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?

47 aHe that is of God bheareth God’s words: ye therefore hearthem not, because ye are not of God.


Also, it's not enough to have a brief episode of belief in Christ. It's vital to continue following his word. (John 8:30-32)

30 As he spake these words, many abelieved on him.

31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If yeacontinue in my word, then are ye my bdisciples indeed;

32 And ye shall aknow the btruth, and the ctruth shall make youdfree.

Continually following Christ and doing the deeds of the Father are critical in receiving the blessings he wants to give us, including being called his seed.

Have a good day.

No comments: