Thursday, March 3, 2011

Zion - Round 2

When will Zion come? That's what Joseph asked before receiving D.C. 57, and this subject continues. Consider Section 58's beginning verses:

1Hearken, O ye elders of my church, and give aear to my word, and learn of me what I will concerning you, and also concerningbthis land unto which I have sent you.

2For verily I say unto you, blessed is he that akeepeth my commandments, whether in life or in bdeath; and he that iscfaithful in dtribulation, the ereward of the same is greater in the kingdom of heaven.

3Ye cannot behold with your natural aeyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the bglory which shall follow after much tribulation.

4For after much atribulation come the bblessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be ccrowned with much dglory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand.

Certainly they didn't know what awaited them or the glory they would receive in the next life, or the foundation they would lay for this church. There is no way they could have known the foundations they would be laying for such a tremendous work. And yes, there were a lot of tribulations. A lot of them. Understanding what was on the Saints' mind and what the Lord told them, and then what ended up happening to them convinces me that this is an inspired book.

I think they will be honored for laying the foundation. I just joined a startup, and if the startup does really well, I'll make more money than someone who joins significantly after me. I'll be rewarded for laying the foundation. I think there's something similar in store for the early Saints. They'll be blessed. Look at this verse:

7And also that you might be honored in laying the foundation, and in bearing record of the land upon which the aZion of God shall stand

Oh, and why do Bishop's give counsel to people? It's right here:

17And whoso standeth in this mission is appointed to be a ajudgein Israel, like as it was in ancient days, to bdivide the lands of the heritage of God unto his cchildren;

20Let no man think he is aruler; but let God rule him that judgeth, according to the counsel of his own bwill, or, in other words, him that counseleth or sitteth upon the judgment seat.

And Bishops better know the scriptures very well:

18And to judge his people by the testimony of the just, and by the assistance of his acounselors, according to the laws of the kingdom which are given by the bprophets of God.

Very good section!




No comments: