Monday, March 28, 2011

D.C. 76

Skipping back to D.C. today:

This is in the preface to D.C. 76:

“Upon my return from Amherst conference, I resumed the translation of the Scriptures. From sundry revelations which had been received, it was apparent that many important points touching the salvation of man had been taken from the Bible, or lost before it was compiled. It appeared self-evident from what truths were left, that if God rewarded every one according to the deeds done in the body the term ‘Heaven,’ as intended for the Saints’ eternal home, must include more kingdoms than one. Accordingly, … while translating St. John’s Gospel, myself and Elder Rigdon saw the following vision” (History of the Church,1:245). It was after the Prophet had translated John 5:29 that this vision was given.

Joseph had an incredibly open mind about doctrinal topics. It's an interesting conclusion to make: "the Bible is missing a lot about salvation, there's got to be more to the story." I think Joseph Smith gives another good example here about how to learn.

D.C. 76:1

1aHear, O ye heavens, and give ear, O earth, and rejoice ye inhabitants thereof, for the Lord is bGod, and beside him there iscno dSavior.

Interesting that heaven was supposed to hear this revelation as well. That doesn't happen too often.

D.C. 76:5-10 - This is kind of long, but it's very powerful. Think about these promises for those who serve the Lord to the end:

5For thus saith the Lord—I, the Lord, am amerciful and gracious unto those who bfear me, and delight to honor those who cserve me in righteousness and in truth unto the end.

6Great shall be their reward and eternal shall be their aglory.

7And to them will I areveal all bmysteries, yea, all the hidden mysteries of my kingdom from days of old, and for ages to come, will I make known unto them the good pleasure of my will concerning all things pertaining to my kingdom.

8Yea, even the wonders of aeternity shall they know, and things to come will I show them, even the things of many generations.

9And their awisdom shall be great, and their bunderstanding reach to heaven; and before them the wisdom of the wise shall cperish, and the understanding of the dprudent shall come to naught.

10For by my aSpirit will I benlighten them, and by my cpower will I make known unto them the dsecrets of my ewill—yea, even those things which feye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor yet entered into the heart of man.

No comments: