Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What is the path we're supposed to walk to get to the Tree of Life?

This is one of my favorite scripture topics, by far. This is true, in part, because of 1) how critical it is to each of us, and 2) how it is a fairly misunderstood topic.

So, in Lehi's famous dream, there are a few critical elements. We're told by Nephi what most of the critical elements represent a few chapters later (mostly Chapter 11). For instance, the tree of life represents the love of God, which is best shown to the world by Jesus Christ coming to the earth. The mists of darkness are the temptations of Satan. The iron rod represents the word of God that helps guide us to the Tree of Life. But, what's the path that leads to the tree of life and that the Iron Rod is over?

Consider this verse in 1 Nephi 8:
12And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great ajoy; wherefore, I began to be bdesirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was cdesirableabove all other fruit.

If you look at the footnote connected to desirous (b) in the above verse, you'll see it leads to Alma 36:24. Note that Lehi had already partaken of the fruit of the tree of life and is desirous for others to partake.

Consider this verse in 1 Nephi 8:

Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

Alma in Alma 36 mentions that he too wanted others to "taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste" which happens when you partake of the tree of life (as Lehi mentions in 1 Nephi 8:12). So, how did Alma say the people would taste of the exceeding joy? They would need to repent. That's the path we walk to partake of the tree of life.

The reason I think this is so vital to understand is because oftentimes repentance is looked at with the following viewpoint, especially as a teenager: "I hope I never need to talk to the Bishop because that means I have really screwed up." This isn't far from saying, "I hope I don't have to repent of much because that means I've messed up."

This is a very poor mentality. Life is in some ways about messing up. God wouldn't have been okay with Adam and Eve leaving the garden due to a mistake if mistakes weren't okay. They're very much a part of life. We learn from mistakes. One of the problems with my last job is that we didn't actually make the decisions, we just gave advice. That also means we didn't learn from our mistakes but just went on to the next "advice giving session". That kept us from learning as much as we could have. Repentance is good. It's the process of turning away from mistakes and getting help from the Savior to come closer to him. The words of the prophets (iron rod) helps us understand how to get closer to the Savior, and this always involves doing things a little differently so we can become more like him. Repentance = good, not bad. Only good. Mistakes happen. Sins happen. But, it's our goal to repent. That's a good thing. It's a necessary thing.

Have a great day.

LaDon

No comments: