Saturday, March 26, 2011

Example - Nate

My good friend Nate was around for a few hours last night, and it was great to see him. The thing I was reminded of was how vital example is. Nate's family (i.e., parents) are not the most stable (e.g., periods of inactivity and other sin issues) and yet 4 of the 5 kids are very active in the church and Nate is super active and excited about the church. For instance, we were talking about what we believe, and he said, "it's really pretty crazy what we believe. I mean, we think people are going to literally die and come back to life and then live forever. It's an amazing set of beliefs we have." And he's so right. We rarely recognize how grand our doctrine is and that it's either crazy or true, and if true, it's remarkable.

What else is remarkable is Nate himself. As he was talking about his family situation, I asked him if he was the oldest, which he is (which I knew but wanted to verify). His sister is getting married in the temple later this year. 2 of his other siblings are very into the church and the one who isn't active actually is interested in spiritual things and hopefully comes around regarding the church.

I think Nate's siblings are in the church principally because of him. Without his activity and enthusiasm for the church, I'm guessing that only 1 or 2 of his siblings are active today and maybe none.

Interestingly, I've never heard him complain about his family situation being tough or strange. He just does his best. I really admire the guy, and I think he'll get a lot of credit for helping his family. I don't think we know all the people we influence in life, but it's safe to say that our actions extend a lot further than we think and that his decision to serve a faithful mission and marry in the temple and be a committed member has helped counteract the poor decisions of his parents.

Sorry if you read this Nate and didn't want me to write anything. Luckily, we can count on one hand the people that read this.

Nate's example and influence over his family makes me think of another brother:

Ether 1:

38And it came to pass that Jared spake again unto his brother, saying: Go and ainquire of the
Lord whether he will drive us out of the land, and if he will drive us out of the land, cry unto him whither we shall go. And who knoweth but the Lord will carry us forth into a land which is bchoice above all the earth? And if it so be, let us be faithful unto the Lord, that we may receive it for our inheritance.

39And it came to pass that the brother of Jared did cry unto the Lord according to that which had been spoken by the mouth of Jared.

40And it came to pass that the Lord did hear the brother of Jared, and ahad compassion upon him, and said unto him:

41Go to and gather together thy aflocks, both male and female, of every kind; and also of the bseed of the earth of every kind; and cthy dfamilies; and also Jared thy brother and his family; and also thy efriends and their families, and the friends of Jared and their families.

42And when thou hast done this thou shalt ago at the head of them down into the valley which is northward. And there will I meet thee, and I will go bbefore thee into a land which is cchoice above all the lands of the earth.

43And there will I bless thee and thy seed, and raise up unto me of thy seed, and of the seed of thy brother, and they who shall go with thee, a great nation. And athere shall be none bgreater than the nation which I will raise up unto me of thy seed, upon all the face of the earth. And thus I will do unto thee because this long time ye have cried unto me.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

LaDon,

I always come to your blog to get my thoughts going for my gospel doctrine lessons. Thanks! I think Nate is pretty remarkable too :)