Friday, May 13, 2011

Zion – the pure in heart – is sometimes one person

When I was a freshman in high school, my dad was a substitute in seminary (early morning scripture study) on one particular occasion. We happened to be studying D.C. 97. He taught us something about D.C. 97 that I’ve never forgotten.

In the early days of the church, the concept of Zion, the gathering place of the Saints, was very important. The people wanted to move to this utopian type setting and be firmly established there. At times the Lord helped them understand that Zion wasn’t exactly as they may have expected it. At some point Zion will be a city, but it has other meanings as well. In fact, in D.C. 97, he gives a particularly interesting definition of Zion:

21Therefore, verily, thus saith the Lord, let Zion rejoice, for this is aZionthe pure in heart; therefore, let Zion rejoice, while all the wicked shall mourn.

Zion also exists in the pure in heart. My dad spoke about going to a high school at which he was the only member of the church. At times that meant he was alone in some ways, but it also taught him that this verse was a reality. Zion could exist even if it was just himself, and many times that’s what it had to be.

Being a young high school student who had some LDS friends, but none on my basketball teams where I spent a lot of time, this meant a lot to me. I spent a large majority of my time around people who didn’t live the way I was expected to, but I could still experience the joys of Zion if I was pure in heart myself.

I have come to know this is true. The full blessings of the gospel can exist when you are the only member of your branch or when you are in the largest ward in Utah. The qualifier is to be pure in heart. I should explain what it means to experience Zion, but that’ll have to wait for tomorrow when I have some more time.

Have a good day.

LaDon

No comments: