Monday, May 16, 2011

How to treat other people

A couple years ago I got a notice that a bill of mine had moved to collections. I had never received the first bill, so as soon as I received this, I paid the collections company online. However, they were pretty shady. I called customer service to verify the payment had gone through because I thought I made a mistake , and he was pretty vague/unhelpful about whether or not my payment went through and whether or not they would charge me more, which I wasn't pleased about since I had never seen the bill before. At some point, I got pretty upset with him and made some pointed remarks.

At the same time I read D.C. 98. This section was received because the Saints were in the midst of great persecution, and the Lord was counseling them on how to react to that persecution. Here's a couple great verses:

23Now, I speak unto you concerning your families—if men willasmite you, or your families, once, and ye bbear it patiently andcrevile not against them, neither seek drevenge, ye shall beerewarded;

24But if ye bear it not patiently, it shall be accounted unto you as being ameted out as a just measure unto you.

It sounds like if we are persecuted and bear it patiently we'll be blessed. However, if we do not bear it and instead act out against them in a similar way to how they treated us, then we've actually been treated justly. In other words, if someone is a jerk, but we're a jerk back, then we deserve each other.

It's a great lesson for me that day. The guy was not helpful and a little mean first, but I was mean back, so we just deserved each other. I was not in any way better than him. Clearly I showed that through my actions.

I appreciated that timely lesson and hope to always remember it.

LaDon

No comments: