Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Inviting to everyone, appreciative of volunteers

My friend came over last night and talked about his religious experience. He was very active in a previous church he attended and asked for some time off from an assignment and was yelled at. Then this made him step back and think about his entire membership and he decided to leave that church. A bold move for someone who was so involved (i.e., more involved than many LDS members unless they have a very demanding calling). As a result, those in the church no longer speak to him.

Two lessons from this that I see:
1) Never be upset with a volunteer. If someone's volunteering, it's great that they give of their time to help. (similar to this - be nice to people)
2) Never cut someone off from communication and friendship. The Savior said the following in 3 Nephi 18 regarding partaking of the sacrament (bread and wine/water), but it applies in this instance as well:


29For whoso eateth and drinketh my flesh and abloodbunworthily eateth and drinketh damnation to his soul; therefore if ye know that a man is unworthy to eat and drink of my flesh and blood ye shall forbid him.

30Nevertheless, ye shall not acast him out from among you, but ye shall bminister unto him and shall pray for him unto the Father, in my name; and if it so be that he repenteth and is baptized in my name, then shall ye receive him, and shall minister unto him of my flesh and blood.

31But if he repent not he shall not be numbered among my people, that he may not destroy my people, for behold I aknowbmy sheep, and they are numbered.

32Nevertheless, ye shall not cast him out of your asynagogues, or your places of worship, for unto such shall ye continue to minister; for ye know not but what they will return and repent, and come unto me with full purpose of heart, and I shall bheal them; and ye shall be the means of bringing salvation unto them.

Have a good day.

LaDon

No comments: