Sunday, May 1, 2011

How to receive good things in life

Here's a letter I just wrote my brother on a mission. It has some good comments:

Interestingly, I was just telling my buddy Nate from college that until this job the last time I had this much responsibility was on my mission. For many reasons, the mission is unique. Not the least of which is that you have some much autonomy and responsibility. It's very cool that the Lord and the church have chosen to trust you guys (and girls) so much.

Jamie and I are excited to see you again (and get a break from work - it'll be the longest vacation we've had since I started working :)

Keep becoming good. I'm sure your anxious for many things (both good things to happen while you're still there as well as things when you get home). It reminds me of this story I read somewhere. Elder McConkie was visiting a mission and while the assistants were driving him to a meeting they asked him what they should look for in a wife. Elder McConkie replied with this verse in D.C. 88: 40 For aintelligence cleaveth unto intelligence; bwisdom receiveth wisdom; ctruth embraceth truth; dvirtue loveth virtue; elight cleaveth unto light; fmercy hath gcompassion on mercy and claimeth her own; hjusticecontinueth its course and claimeth its own; judgment goeth before the face of him who sitteth upon the throne and governeth and executeth all things.

I am a big believer in this concept of like things being attracted to one another. Keep doing good and growing and good things will happen always. Or put another way in the end of Alma's talk to his son Corianton in Alma 41:

13O, my son, this is not the case; but the meaning of the word restoration is to bring back again aevil for evil, or carnal for carnal, or devilish for devilish—good for that which is good; righteous for that which is righteous; just for that which is just; merciful for that which is merciful.

14Therefore, my son, see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal ajustly, bjudge righteously, and do cgood continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your dreward; yea, ye shall have emercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again.

15For that which ye do asend out shall return unto you again, and be restored; therefore, the word restoration more fully condemneth the sinner, and justifieth him not at all.


Interesting advice to his son. Do good, be merciful, be just, judge righteously.

No comments: