Monday, May 2, 2011

Recognizing God - Where is He and how to recognize Him

I had a discussion with a colleague I really like a few weeks ago. It turned to religion (not a shocker with me) and I explained what we believe and why I believe it. One key question he asked include, "are there artifacts in key geographic locations showing this may have taken place?" I said that there are remains of people, one of which likely included the Book of Mormon people, but this is evidence that is secondary compared to other evidence I have such as reading and praying and living it and seeing the effects it has on my life.

Then he said, "I believe in taking a very scientific approach towards all things in life."

The interesting thing is I do too. The scientific method is about trial and error. For instance, when someone is doing a basic scientific experiment, they often try a couple of things, repeat them a bunch of times with a couple of differences and see what the outcome is. If a scientist is mixing to compounds together in hopes of a reaction, and then a reaction occurs, he will say that he's learned something. Interestingly enough, it's not like the scientist knows what atoms or molecules or even quarks interacted or how they interacted in order to cause the reaction. He basically accepts the outcome as evidence of something happening and calls that "science".

I similarly, do my best to live the gospel, and when things happen as a result of my living, I trust that the outcome is related to my action and believe that those who told me to do the actions, Apostles, Prophets, and/or God, are in fact correct and exist. It's a pretty similar process frankly.

So, speaking of God - he talks about what he influences in D.C. 88:

45The earth arolls upon her wings, and the bsun giveth his light by day, and the moon giveth her light by night, and the stars also give their light, as they roll upon their wings in their glory, in the midst of the cpower of God.

46Unto what shall I liken these kingdoms, that ye may understand?

47Behold, all these are akingdoms, and any man who hath bseen any or the least of these hath cseen God dmoving in his majesty and power.

48I say unto you, he hath seen him; nevertheless, he who came unto his aown was not comprehended.

49The alight shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not; nevertheless, the day shall come when you shall bcomprehend even God, being quickened in him and by him.

50Then shall ye know that ye have aseen me, that I am, and that I am the true blight that is in you, and that you are in me; otherwise ye could not abound.

Apparently God is in all things. At some point it will be very clear to us what that means. My experience is that this is correct. I have come to know that he is involved in a few things that it isn't hard for me to believe that he can be involved in some way in all things.

Essentially these verses are saying that all kingdoms (groups of things, including the sun, the stars, different groups of plants, animals, etc.) have rules and consequences for following or not following these rules. Also, they have order.

I think that's the manifestation of God in the world; he provides order/organization to things. Without him, things degrade to chaos/darkness.

Have a great week.

LaDon

No comments: