Sunday, February 27, 2011

Trust in God then Go and Do

So, I taught in EQ today and it didn't go that great. I didn't prepare well enough (i.e., I didn't discuss it with Jamie - she would have helped me focus thoughts better), I didn't teach anything particularly insightful, and I didn't use enough or really any scriptures. Lots of stories, not enough scriptures. Bad move. (I actually finished the lesson by saying, "sorry I didn't do well enough" - it's true. Those Elders deserved a better lesson to help them in some way in their lives.)

The lesson was on Pres. Eyring's talk which was excellent. The title of the talk was "Trust in God, then Go and Do.'' The purpose was to increase our trust in God and in his servants, the prophets.

I believe those guys 100%. Everything I have seen from them in my limited interactions with them or those who are close to them makes me believe their words. Additionally, I know God answers prayers. That's been made very clear to me.

Here's a verse I like regarding trusting in God.

Alma 58:37

But, behold, it mattereth not—we trust God will deliver us, notwithstanding the weakness of our armies, yea, and deliver us out of the hands of our enemies.

Those strippling warriors sure trust in God. I think it's because of the experiences they had had earlier made it clear to them that they should trust in Him. They mention in particular that they knew their mothers knew God would deliver them. This is an interesting point. I believe true faith is having enough faith that others' actions are influenced by you. The strippling warriors were clearly influenced by their mothers. Jamie and I were talking with some new friends of ours tonight, and I asked them how they gained testimonies of the church. Both of them spoke about how good their families were. She had a family that was very committed to the church. They read scriptures every day and prayed every day as a family, and she often heard her dad bear testimony. This all helped a testimony develop along with her time really diligently studying the scriptures while her future husband was on his mission. He said that there was a lot of trust and love in his family, and he thought, "if they're so great and I trust them so much, I'm pretty sure there's something to this church thing." I really love both of their comments. I hope to have a family in which our kids trust us and can be certain that the church is true because it is so obvious that it affects our lives for good. (I also want my kids to ask questions and figure it out on their own, but these two desires can both exist.)


Anyway, I hope I trust in God. He has always come through for me in every way. I also believe it's only if I stop trusting in him that the miracles will cease (as described in the following verse.)

Mormon 9:20

And the reason why he ceaseth to do miracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should trust.

Have a good week.

No comments: