Thursday, February 3, 2011

Power of Groups and Keep All My Commandments

Two great verses today. Here's the first group.

D.C. 42:2-3

2Again I say unto you, hearken and hear and obey the alaw which I shall give unto you.

3For verily I say, as ye have assembled yourselves together according to the acommandment wherewith I commanded you, and are agreed as btouching this one thing, and have asked the Father in my name, even so ye shall receive.

Great scripture on the power of unity / groups. Now a story - when we were deacons (there were about 5 or so in my deacon's quorum) we organized a 24-hour fast for one of our inactive deacons. Interestingly enough 1 year later he and his family were active. Very cool. We really didn't do much else besides the fast and we likely invited him out a few times, but he was reasonably active for a year or two likely in part as a result of our fasting. Fastforward another couple of years to the time we're priests. Once again he's inactive, but did we have a group fast in his behalf? No. On the one hand, what a great experience we had when we were kids. On the other hand, what a waste. We clearly didn't learn anything by it. Sad. I think the place where I could fast/pray as a group so much better is in my family. We could really bring about great things if we did this well together (I mean my wife, my kids, and myself). Definitely a must.

Scripture #2

D.C. 42:29

29If thou alovest me thou shalt bserve me and ckeep all my commandments.

We probably shouldn’t be too choosy about which commandments we follow. This is a good barometer for our level of "love" for God. Do we give him time and do we keep his commandments (which interestingly are really given to us to simplify and help our lives, not as arbitrary rules he gives).

Have a great day!

LaDon

2 comments:

Dale said...

It's becoming more and more apparent (and pathetic, if that is not too strong a word) at how many people actually think that living a "good" life is enough. That there shouldn't be a right and wrong. It seems to them that people view things differently and that no one set of commandments can or should apply to the masses.

I think this is a bogus train of thought and I think the way you worded it is a great way to help people who think this way. Commandments aren't given to us as a set of arbitrary rules but as a way to help our lives. And really, only God (and his leaders who have authority) can know what each person needs to simplify and help us in our lives.

Still, in the end, it takes faith for a person to understand a perfect God in an imperfect world.

Sorry no scriptures for this comment. Just my opinion. I'll try to include more factual info in the future to support my opinions.

The Lindes said...

Excellent thoughts sir. I think that's a big lesson learned on the mission - that commandments simplify life considerably. Not worrying about pregnancy, does that guy I'm living with actually like me, drug addictions, etc. just makes life more simple and better. It inherently creates more options (complexity and addiction decreases options) which is very helpful.