Sunday, February 20, 2011

As if for years.......

This is something taught to me by Brother Esplin in his D.C. class (which was so good I took it twice; I'm not even kidding; I learned so much the first time in fall 2006 I took the exact same thing in summer 2009. He taught the gospel the way it's meant to be taught: lots of class participation, humble, great context around the verses to help us understand; and always with a message that could be applied to our lives, always)

In May 1831 the Saints received Sections 50, 51, and 52. They were just moving to Kirtland, Ohio from the New York region. They also knew that a Zion existed and that they would be asked to move there, and that Kirtland wasn't Zion. Certainly, a tendency could be to not invest much into their work, neighbors, or church in Kirtland. However, here's what the Lord told them in D.C. 51:17:

17And the hour and the day is not given unto them, wherefore let them act upon this land as for years, and this shall turn unto them for their good.

Act on the land as if you'll be there for years. In the strict farming sense, clear the same amount of land to plant fields as if you were going to be around for years. Also, build relationships with people as if you'll be around for years.

Think about how much a better job you'd acted as if the place you worked would be the place you would work forever and that if you did poorly today you'd probably always be stuck in the worst job in the company rather than moving up.

This principle applies to so many of us. For instance, when we're in college, it's temporary, so maybe we think we shouldn't get to know people extremely well, particularly if we know we'll be moving to a new apartment soon or that we'll be getting married soon. Or, at our first job, perhaps the same applies. Or perhaps on a mission if we only have 6 weeks left in an area. Or, perhaps I shouldn't work as hard in this ward since I'll likely be going to grad school in a couple of years.

That isn't the right approach. It's important to always, "act upon this land as for years, and this shall turn unto them for their good."

Also, I went to church today. It was very good. The two speakers were very honest about some struggles they had had in the past, and that was very refreshing. Sometimes we're scared to talk about our struggles, but I think it really helps someone around us when we do. I always admire that. Our church just continues to improve and improve (as Jesus said it would in D.C. 1:30)

30And also those to whom these commandments were given, might have apower to lay the foundation of this bchurch, and to bring it forth out of obscurity and out of cdarkness, the only true and living dchurch upon the face of the whole earth, with which I, the Lord, am well epleased, fspeaking unto the church collectively and not individually—

Living means it'll grow, improve, meet the demands of its development/members, etc. I like it :)

Have a good week!

1 comment:

Dale said...

Great post. On Sunday our Priesthood lesson was on work. A comment was made that we can't say "tomorrow I will work" or "when I get into my major I will start studying harder" or "when I get into the job I really want to do I will work hard." That is not the mind and attitude of work. That thought stuck out to me when I read your post. The Lord is teaching the Saints that work is an eternal principle without vacations and breaks scattered in the middle.