Saturday, February 5, 2011

Church Organization and Meetings

Every once in a while I am reading in the scriptures and learn something about why the church has the programs or organizations it does in order to comply with the scriptures.

For instance, in Provo, young members of the BYU wards are called into as counselors in the Bishopric but are not made high priests like in every other ward I've seen (except for the LA singles ward where one of the counselors was made a high priest and one wasn't - both were single).

That's strange. Why is either option okay? D.C. 42:31 has the answer.

31And inasmuch as ye aimpart of your bsubstance unto the cpoor, ye will do it unto me; and they shall be dlaid before the ebishop of my church and his fcounselors, two of the elders, or high priests, such as he shall appoint or has appointed and gset apart for that purpose.

It's okay because God said so. Bishopric counselors can be ordained elders or high priests. That's completely consistent with scripture received 180 years ago. Very cool.

Another example I ran into today is D.C. 43:8.

8And now, behold, I give unto you a acommandment, that when ye are bassembled together ye shall cinstruct and dedify each other, that ye may know ehow to act and direct my church, how to act upon the points of my law and commandments, which I have given.

Two of the three hours of our Sunday meetings are classes in which normal members are asked to teach and anyone can comment. In addition we should talk about the scriptures which contain the law and commandments, which are the main source of most lessons. This is completely consistent with the above verse, which was also received 180 years ago. Very cool.

LaDon

No comments: