Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tithing - Blessing of being committed

The First Presidency message for this month is on tithing. Pres. Eyring talks about the results of tithing and how it helps us. I have one quick thought that has come to me as I've talked to non-members about tithing.

Everyone pays 10% whether rich or poor. In one discussion with one of my very smart co-workers at LEK, he asked multiple questions about tithing. As I talked about the blessings we believe we receive, it led to a discussion of commitment as well. Finally, I realized something - if you're a leader of an organization and want to help people show commitment to that group, what's a key action that people can take to show a lot of commitment? Giving money. In fact, Nate Silver, a political statistician has said that the amount of money raised isn't a great predictor of success of a candidate, but the # of people that have contributed money is helpful to know in predicting success of a candidate for president. Interesting.

I know that my family has received many blessings from paying tithing. However, if I received no blessings from paying tithing besides a greater commitment to the Lord and the Church because I was "investing" in it, then it would be well worth paying. The church and the commandments bless my life in so many ways, and paying 10% to help me be a little more faithful is well worth it.

The blessings of tithe paying are there in the scriptures, and they are great (Malachi 3 and D.C. 119 and D.C. 64), but just paying tithing and receiving no other blessings besides a greater sense of commitment would be a bargain.

Have a good day.

No comments: