Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Missionary Work Part 1 - Gospel Principles

I'm teaching the lesson on Missionary Work this week in Elders Quorum, and I'm excited about it. This is a topic I have thought about in the recent past in part due to my brother's mission, but mostly due to my Ward Mission Leader calling in my previous ward.

I don't have too much time, but here's a few things I learned from the manual today and some thoughts I have.

One section focused on the technological advances that help make missionary work and the rest of the work of the Lord possible. Joseph F. Smith has a somewhat bold quote saying that the reason for all technology advances is the restoration of the gospel. While that may seem extreme to some, he also makes the point that he doesn't believe it's due to men being smarter now than in the past. I agree with that. There's got to be a compelling reason why technology is advancing, and "people are just smarter now" doesn't seem like a strong argument.

One thing that's cool is that in 1988 the church released a computer program that had the scriptures on them. That's pretty remarkable. The church is very progressive in terms of technology. Not many people had computers in 1988 and the church already had a program to help them learn the gospel better.

A few good quotes from the announcement article:

From Elder Packer: If the Saints understand the scriptures, the doctrines taught in the Church will be purer and surer. Gospel perspective will grow. Testimonies will increase. There will be greater devotion and dedication to the Lord.

Elder Nelson: We are blessed to be living in such an exciting gospel dispensation. God is inspiring the minds of great people to create inventions that further the work of the Lord in ways this world has never known. I recall the statement by Joseph Fielding Smith:

Elder Packer: There is no better way to make sense out of life than to gain a knowledge of gospel doctrines. When we understand those doctrines, we have cause to rejoice and we do rejoice, even celebrate.

Elder Nelson: I, too, have a strong testimony of the divinity of the scriptures. I pray that the Lord will grant us entrance into them and that, when we enter therein, we will know that we stand on holy ground.

I love the last Elder Nelson quote. It best expresses why I feel different when I read the scriptures. They are divine.

More tomorrow :)


No comments: