Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Accepting our Best Efforts

In the world what usually matters is results. That is the only way to measure success. In the church and spiritual matters, results matter too, but the Lord is also able to take into account desires and actions done in an attempt to accomplish things. In the commandment the Lord gives concerning building a temple in Nauvoo, he explains that giving a great effort will be acceptable for him.

44If ye labor with all your might, I will consecrate that spot that it shall be made aholy.

45And if my people will hearken unto my voice, and unto the voice of my aservants whom I have appointed to lead my people, behold, verily I say unto you, they shall not be moved out of their place.

He also mentions that even though the Saints weren't able to build a temple in Missouri as he commanded, he accepted their efforts, which were interrupted by the mob and persecution.

It reminds me of these verses in D.C. 137:

7Thus came the avoice of the Lord unto me, saying: All who have died bwithout a knowledge of this gospel, who would have received it if they had been permitted to tarry, shall be cheirs of the celestial kingdom of God;

8Also all that shall die henceforth without a knowledge of it, whoawould have received it with all their hearts, shall be heirs of that kingdom;

9For I, the Lord, will ajudge all men according to their bworks, according to the cdesire of their hearts.

10And I also beheld that all achildren who die before they arrive at the byears of accountability are csaved in the celestial kingdom of heaven.

I appreciate the Atonement and suffering of Jesus, which allows God to take into account our desires when he is judging us, because he knows our circumstances so well, having personally gone through them.

No comments: