Thursday, April 7, 2011

Word of Wisdom and Revelation

I may have discussed this once before, but here's a great verse about what can happen as we exercise faith and repent:

Alma 26:

22Yea, he that arepenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good bworks, and prayeth continually without ceasing—unto such it is given to know the cmysteries of God; yea, unto such it shall bedgiven to ereveal things which never have been revealed; yea, and it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance, even as it has been given unto us to bring these our brethren to repentance.

My mission president said that this verse applied to us and that this verse would come true in the following ways: when teaching we would teach things we didn't previously know and we would reveal things that had never been revealed to us previously.

A short while after this I was teaching a lesson on the word of wisdom. One verse says in D.C. 89: 21And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the adestroyingangel shall bpass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

I had a feeling the lady we were teaching would ask what it meant by the destroying angel would pass them by. I just knew she would ask it. So, as I was thinking and looking down at the scriptures I saw the verse referring to Exodus. That's when I learned that the destroying angel took the children of the Egyptians before it was their appointed time to leave the earth. The promise that the destroying angel will pass them by is a promise that if we keep the Word of Wisdom and the other commandments, we will not be taken before the earth before it is our time. That doesn't mean we won't die young but that the Lord will protect us from dying young if it isn't our time to go. I personally trust him to know when the right time is.

No comments: