Monday, June 25, 2012

Stand in the Sacred Grove - great lesson on family

Elder Jensen's CES talk had some terrific things. I learned something about the purpose of having a question on the family in the temple recommend interview.

Certainly the earliest and best laboratory for learning to get along with others is the home. It is at home that we learn the lessons of service, unselfishness, forgiveness, and patience that are essential to the formation of lasting relationships with others. I think it is for this reason that a part of being “temple worthy” is the requirement that we live in love and harmony with members of our family.

As I thought about this question, I thought of several families that appear to be quite faithful but have had one or two children leave the church. In some instances I have learned that the families were not very close growing up. There may have been a lot of competition or one or two children that felt left out or not as talented as the others. I realize that this can be perceived more than real in some cases, but one person's reality is their reality. Now that I'm a father, I saw as clearly as can be this morning while listening to Elder Jensen, that it's critical for love to exist in my home. If there isn't love and good relationships, then there can't be teaching. Also, when the church is something so integral in our lives, then it can be hard to separate family life from church life. Therefore, it's critical that parents and children have great relationships, and it's the parents' jobs to make that happen. Then there can be great teaching and our children can build great spiritual strength.

Parents - be wise...

No comments: