Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Power of the Atonement - bringing us to God

I'm reading "The Infinite Atonement" right now, and Tad Callister makes an interesting observation about Alma's attitude towards entering God's presence. In Alma 36, Alma makes to different, opposite statements about wanting to be with God.

First -
14 Yea, and I had amurdered many of his children, or rather led them away unto destruction; yea, and in fine so great had been my iniquities, that the very thought of coming into the presence of my God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror.

15 Oh, thought I, that I acould be banished and become extinct both soul and body, that I might not be brought to stand in the presence of my God, to be judged of my bdeeds.

Then -
22 Yea, methought I saw, even as our father aLehi saw, God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and bpraising their God; yea, and my soul did long to be there.

It's instructive to see that his desire to be with God changed very quickly, likely in a matter of hours or less as he came to accept and follow Jesus Christ. I am impressed by the power of the Atonement and its ability to cleanse the follower of the Savior. Also, I appreciate the Book of Mormon's clear evidence of this power. There is not a more clear story in the scriptures expressing the power of the Atonement in cleansing sins and bringing us to God.

No comments: