Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Intently Listening to Church Leaders

In Acts 14, we read about Paul teaching people in Lystra. Here's some verses about a particular man who was listening:

8 ¶And there sat a certain man at Lystra, impotent in his feet, being a acripple from his mother’s womb, who never had walked:

It then mentions that Paul noticed how intently the man was looking at him (presumably listening to his words) and Paul perceived the man had the faith to be healed and Paul then healed him.

9 The same heard Paul speak: who stedfastly beholding him, and perceiving that he had afaith to be bhealed,

10 Said with a loud voice, Stand upright on thy feet. And he leaped and walked.

I think it's worth considering what Paul was saying and what the man was doing. I remember the first general conference I listened to when I was on the mission was special for me. I listened so intently to the prophet and felt as if he were there speaking to me. It was so real and powerful. I assume Paul spoke about the Savior and brought hope to the man. I imagine that Paul had the same effect on this man and that, upon noticing the man, Paul compassionately reached out and healed him. I hope to emphasize the powerful effect the words of the Apostles can have on those hearing their voice and the faith that their words can engender in others.

No comments: