Monday, August 8, 2011

Matthew 8 - Showing how much Jesus cares for each individual

I believe that as the writers of the gospel pondered what to include, they likely had certain messages they hoped to get across, and they included the stories they did in order to convey those messages. Matthew 8 appears to be a chapter largely focused on showing us how much Jesus loved the people individually. Consider these verses:

2And, behold, there came a aleper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

3And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was acleansed.

Jesus cared for the leper and cleansed him.

8The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not aworthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be bhealed.

9For I am a man under aauthority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.

10aWhen Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great bfaith, no, not in Israel.

11And I say unto you, That amany shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.

12But the achildren of the kingdom shall be cast out into bouterdarkness: there shall be cweeping and gnashing of teeth.

I love this story. Jesus didn't care that the Centurion was a Roman. He recognized the man's great faith and not only healed the servant but inferred that the man was going to heaven while many Jews wouldn't make it. He once again cared about the individual, not the customs of the day.

16¶When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with adevils: and he cast out the bspirits with hisword, and chealed all that were sick:

He healed them all. Tremendous love.


No comments: