Thursday, April 26, 2012

Key Distinguishing Factor of God

God hears our prayers. That is something that struck me as I listened to Elder Nelson tell a story in conference. He talked about visiting a fish store and asking a question.


Recently, Sister Nelson and I enjoyed the beauty of tropical fish in a small private aquarium. Fish with vivid colors and of a variety of shapes and sizes darted back and forth. I asked the attendant nearby, “Who provides food for these beautiful fish?”
She responded, “I do.”
Then I asked, “Have they ever thanked you?”
She replied, “Not yet!”
I thought of some people I know who are just as oblivious to their Creator and their true “bread of life.”1 They live from day to day without an awareness of God and His goodness unto them.

At first I laughed, thinking this was a weird analogy to our lives. However, when I consider that  God created the earth and all the opportunities that we are given, this seems like a fair analogy. We owe thanks to God as much as fish owe thanks to the person taking care of them. In our situation though, there's a greater difference; God also allows us to communicate with Him even though the difference between us and him may be greater than the difference between a fish and the human caretaker. God knows everything; we know so little.

I thought of prayer and its blessing when reading about Limhi's people today in Mosiah 21. God heard their prayers and helped them, despite their earlier wickedness. He will do the same for all of us.


14 And they did ahumble themselves even in the depths of humility; and they did cry mightily to God; yea, even all the day long did they cry unto their God that he would bdeliver them out of their afflictions.
 15 And now the Lord was aslow to hear their cry because of their iniquities; nevertheless the Lord did hear their bcries, and began to soften the hearts of the Lamanites that they began to ease their burdens; yet the Lord did not see fit to deliver them out of bondage.
 16 And it came to pass that they began to prosper by degrees in the land, and began to raise grain more abundantly, and flocks, and herds, that they did not suffer with hunger.



No comments: