Thursday, February 23, 2012

Analogies of God's power - 2 Nephi 7

Isaiah speaks using analogies and prophecy, and 2 Nephi 7 contains both of these.

2 Wherefore, when I came, there was no man; when I acalled, yea, there was none to answer. O house of Israel, is my hand shortened at all that it cannot redeem, or have I no power to deliver? Behold, at my rebuke I bdry up the csea, I make their drivers a wilderness and their efish to stink because the waters are dried up, and they die because of thirst.

Why does Israel appear to have lost faith in God and his power? They should not have because he still has all power, enough to make rivers disappear at the sound of his voice.

7 For the Lord God will help me, therefore shall I not be confounded. Therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be aashamed.

8 And the Lord is near, and he ajustifieth me. Who will contend with me? Let us stand together. Who is mine adversary? Let him come near me, and I will bsmite him with the strength of my mouth.

9 For the Lord God will help me. And all they who shall acondemnme, behold, all they shall bwax old as a garment, and the moth shall eat them up.

I think having a face set like a flint is to be extremely firm (like a rock). Those who follow Him will not be ashamed. Also, consider Christ's need to follow his Father's will. He certainly knew a lot, being a God, but he also must have had incredible faith and patience that God's plan would work out and that the suffering would be worth it. He showed us the way in being set "like a flint."

Also, always remember that the Lord God will help us. These verses are messianic in that they represent Christ speaking about himself, but it's important to remember that he's the perfect example for us, and his attitudes and desires are things we should emulate. God will help us just as God helped Christ; in fact, God gave us Jesus in order to help us.

Have a good day.

No comments: