Monday, October 3, 2011

Boldness and Miracles

When I was on the mission, I came into an area after an Elder who had a very good relationship with the Bishop. The Elder was quite outspoken and as a result, the Bishop thought he was very bold. Once when I asked the Bishop if he had any advice for me, the Bishop said, "be bold". That was interesting as most people would not say I lack a willingness to be aggressive.

I will say that the Bishop wanted me to tell him what I wanted more often, which I can appreciate. However, sometimes we can mistake brashness or "outspokeness" for boldness/power. This happened with Jesus and his disciples once. Notice this passage in Luke 9. In it, Jesus is asked if he will destroy some people who reject him. However, Jesus notes that he is there to bless, not hurt, save, not destroy.

51 ¶And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,

52 And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the aSamaritans, to make ready for him.

53 And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem.

54 And when his disciples aJames and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command bfire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did?

55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of aspirit ye are of.

56 For the aSon of man is not come to bdestroy men’s clives, but todsave them. And they went to another village.

Jesus was bold, but his boldness did not manifest itself as many thought it would.

No comments: