Thursday, September 15, 2011

Is it I? The Apostle's Question

When Jesus tells his Apostles that one of them will betray him, their response is to ask, "Is it I?" I have often heard that this is the Apostle's question and shows their humility. They were not saying, "it couldn't be me," but instead said, "could I possibly be the one?" That truly shows humility, but their answer also shows a great deal of respect/love for the other Apostles. At one point in their ministry the Apostles were jealous of one another, but that appears to be gone by this time. I believe that they couldn't image one of the other Apostles would betray Christ, so they were left to ask, "Well maybe it's me. I know I have weaknesses. These other men are so good, so it doesn't seem like it could be them."

I think it's a good trait to think highly of those we associate with. In addition, this also shows that the Apostles are just men who recognize their own weaknesses and faults and thought it might be possible for each of them to have been the betrayer. I know I realize that I have weaknesses and could potentially do very unwise things if I'm not careful.

Mark 14:

18 And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me.

19 And they began to be sorrowful, and to say unto him one by one, Is it I? and another said, Is it I?

20 And he answered and said unto them, It is one of the twelve, that dippeth with me in the dish.

No comments: